All about hypervitaminosis A
Hypervitaminosis – It is a condition when you have an excess of vitamin A in your body.
Causes of hypervitaminosis
There are two types of hypervitaminosis acute or chronic.
· Acute hypervitaminosis occurs when you consume large amounts of vitamin A over a short period of time, usually within a few hours or days. Now its very easy to approach blood donors in Bangalore with Cureplus.
· Whereas, chronic hypervitaminosis occurs when there is an accumulation of large amounts of vitamin A in your body over a long period of time.
Signs & symptoms
· Bone pain
· Blurred vision
· Abnormal softening of the skull bone
· Changes in consciousness
· Bulging fontanelle
· Decreased appetite
· Double vision
· Hair loss or oily hair
· Liver damage
· Increased pressure in the skull
· Vision changes
· Unhealthy weight gain
· Skin problems including cracking at corners of the mouth, oily skin, highly sensitive towards sunlight, itching, peeling, and yellowish skin color.
Sources of vitamin A
· Dark fruits
· Tomato products
· Orange and yellow vegetables
· Green leafy vegetables
· Some vegetable oils
· Fortified foods
· Fish and fish oils
· Fortified foods such as cereal
Complications & health risks associated with hypervitaminosis
· Liver damage
· Kidney problem due to excess of calcium
· In pregnant woman excess of vitamin A may cause defects in the fetus.
The most common and effective treatment for hypervitaminosis is to refrain taking a higher dose of vitamin A supplements. Most of the people with hypervitaminosis recover within a few weeks.