Diet For Healthy Prostate
The prostate is a gland, a part of the male reproduction system that surrounds the urethra and bladder. Most of the men suffer from conditions like enlarged prostate and prostate cancer, which is one of the most common cancers found in men.
Although there is no scientific evidence that healthy diet can prevent problems related to prostate, but balanced diet may reduce the chances of prostate problems.
It has been found that men who feed upon more calorie diet than the required need on a daily basis are more prone to develop prostate problems, as compared to others. Besides, intake of high calorie a diet with excess in animal-based protein could also increase the chances of prostate problems.
Consumption of caffeine also should be cut down for a healthy prostate so foods such as coffee, tea, soda, and chocolate should be taken in limited quantities. The diets recommended for different prostate conditions may vary, according to the type of a problem and severity of the disorder.
Listed, below is the list of nutrients that should be included in the healthy prostate diet for an enlarged prostate:
· Omega-3 fatty acids, found in basil, flaxseed, tuna, salmon oil, cod liver oil, and halibut.
· Vitamin D, present in green leafy vegetables, milk, and liver.
· Beta-sitosterol, which can be found in sugar cane pulp and herbs, including pygeum and saw palmetto.
· Vitamin E, which is found in dry or roast almonds, broccoli, peanut butter, sunflower oil, wheat germ oil, and spinach.
A diet for an irritated or inflamed prostate should be high in foods that have antioxidants, as they improve the immune system, make it stronger. Some of the foods to be part of an inflamed prostate diet include:
- Red berries
- Green leafy veggies
- Red wine
- Black tea
- Citrus fruit
Foods to be avoided for prostate health
In order to have the prostate in good health, it is really important for men to eat the healthy prostate foods at all times. As we have foods that promote the good health of the prostate, just like that we have foods to deteriorate the health of prostate; such foods should be avoided or taken in a limited quantity. Listed below is a list of foods that could trigger prostate problems in men.
· Processed foods that are high in trans-fats. These foods usually include all the commercially prepared foodstuff, like can soup, pie crusts, pastries, frozen entrees, fast food and all the food items prepared with hydrogenated vegetable oil.
· Animal-based products, including butter, cream, beef fat, dark meat poultry, cheese, pork, whole milk, beef, full cream dairy products, poultry with skin and lamb should be avoided, or consumed in limited amounts.
· Refined grabs or carbohydrates from which the healthy nutrients, such as vitamins and fiber, have been stripped off totally during the processing stage should be avoided.
Diet for enlarged prostate
Given below is the list of foods that should be a part of men’s daily diet for an enlarged prostate:
- Cod liver oil
- Dark green leafy vegetables
- Flaxseed and flaxseed oil
- Herbs, like basil, pygeum and saw palmetto
- Low-fat dairy products
- Peanuts and peanut butter
- Roast almonds
- Salmon and salmon oil
- Skinless poultry
- Sugarcane pulp
- Sunflower oil
- Wheat germ oil