Myths & Facts About Cholera
What is cholera? – It is an infectious disease that leads to severe watery diarrhea, which may result in dehydration and death if left unnoticed. The main cause of cholera is a bacterium called Vibrio Chlorate that contaminates drinking water or food.
Signs & symptoms
Symptoms may vary from mild to serious:
· Diarrhea and vomiting, usually with a fishy odor
· Loss of skin elasticity
· Paced heart rate
· Sunken eyes
· Low blood pressure
· Wrinkled hands
· Change of skin color to bluish
· Dry mucous membrane
· Muscle cramps
· Reduced urine frequency
· Seizure or coma
· Only an infected person can spread cholera.
· The chances of cholera turns fatal are rare.
· Oral rehydration solution is not really effective to treat cholera.
· It cannot be prevented.
· The symptoms of cholera can be seen at initial stages.
· People who live in unhygienic ways are prone to cholera. It also spreads if the environment you are living is unhealthy.
· An acute diarrheal disease can cause death if left untreated.
· According to WHO, nearly 80% cases can be successfully get cured with the help of Oral rehydration solution (ORS).
· Maintain cleanliness and hygienic living conditions to prevent cholera.
· Around, 75% of people with cholera do not show any symptoms.