Things You Need To Know About Cataracts
Have you crossed 40 and suffering from blurry or cloudy vision, this could be an eye condition – cataracts. Worry not! It’s a common problem of older age and you can definitely get a treatment.
What are cataracts? – Cataracts are the condition when there is protein build up in the lens of your eye and result in clouding of the eye’s lens, which renders light from passing through clearly. It can lead to partial loss of your eyesight.
Cataracts are of four different types. They are:
- Age-related – mostly found in older adults.
- Congenital – cataracts in new-born babies is called as congenital. This may result from any injury, infection or poor development in the womb.
- Secondary – these are caused by other medical conditions, such as diabetes.?
- Traumatic – these result from an eye injury.
Things such as heavy drinking, smoking, and air pollution, can also increase the chances of getting cataracts.
Signs & symptoms
Symptoms usually develop slowly, which may not visible until you start to feel blocking of the light. Some of the common symptoms are:
- Cloudy or blurry vision
- Double vision
- Troubles with glare during daytime
- Changes in the way you differentiate between colors
- Problems with eyeglasses or contact lenses.
Diagnose and treatments available
Healthcare provider will first examine how well you can see through a test and also dilate your pupil to check the lens and rest parts of your eye.
If your cataracts cannot be corrected with the glasses or contacts prescribed by your doctor, then the most obvious treatment is surgery.
When to consider an eye surgery
You should go for surgery when cataracts have advanced to extend that it seriously impair your vision and interfere with your daily life. Cataract surgery is one of the most effective and successful in restoring vision.